Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wish in one hand ...

Well, you've heard the phrase... wish in one hand, do something unmentionable in the other, and see which fills up faster.

I don't care... I'm wishing. And hoping. And dreaming. Of what? No RAIN.

Unfortunately, I have a tendency to obsess. This would be no exception. I'm obsessively checking the forecast for this weekend. How can I not?? I registered for this event nearly a year ago. We've been training for more than six months. I've walked nearly 400 miles to prepare for this weekend. So like it or not, I'm a weather stalker.

Let's start with the downside. No matter which site I check, it's forecasting rain:
CBSDetroit.com

ClickonDetroit.com

WeatherChannel.com

weatherunderground.com

And what's the upside? 
  • I've trained. Lots.
  • I have ponchos. Six of them.
  • I have a plan ... hubs will bring a change of shoes/socks on Saturday, giving me 3 pairs of socks for the day and an extra pair of shoes. (I'm packing 2 pairs of socks per day, but can't fit a third in my pack.)
  • I'm packing for the weather. I have tons of plastic bags. Ziplock bags. Grocery bags. Garbage bags. And I'm not afraid to use them.
Most importantly? I am doing this for a good reason. It's not like we're just going to the park for a casual walk on a Saturday afternoon. I'm walking 60 miles to raise awareness of the need for more breast cancer research. And the need for annual mammograms. And the need for community programs for underserved populations. And the need for more funding to support those programs. 

When you look at it, those needs are surely more noble than my "need" to be dry. So I've come up with my own forecast:


And hey, it's Michigan. Wait five minutes and the weather will change again!

No comments:

Post a Comment