Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dollars and "sense..."

In my mind, there are two main goals for successfully walking the 3-Day for a Cure: 1) Raise at least $2,300 for breast cancer research and community programs; and 2) Don't collapse on the sidewalk.

Let's start with that... my first goal is to be fit enough to make it through 60 miles in 3 days. It's not a race, but I have to have the endurance to do it. And right now, that's quite the stretch. To say I'm not physically fit is, well, an understatement. Fortunately, the Komen group provides guidance and detailed 16- or 24-week training programs. Since that comes up in February-ish, and given my physical condition these days, I've decided I'm in training to be in training. Good thing Stef's a patient walker :)

Second up on the list is the fundraising. $2,300 isn't chump change, but I figure in addition to hitting up all my friends and family (yes, that means you!), we'll put the "fun" in fundraising and host a few events .... Bowling for Boobies anyone?

So that's where I'm at. I'm walking a bit (6 miles this week, wahoo!) and researching a lot. I'm finding lots of neat ideas for fundraising, checking out the many blogs and tweets from walkers (Michigan was one of the first sites, so the Komen walk season is really just beginning!), and generally trying to become as educated of a walker as I can be.... so that I don't pass out on the sidewalk. Because, well, that would suck.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are on board for the next walk. I know what you mean about pre-training before the training starts. That's why I walked over 500 miles in training. Maybe next year's event won't be on the hottest weekend of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the button I push to donate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upper right corner of the blog Jill :) Just search for my name on the Komen site...

    ReplyDelete