Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Making a list... checking it twice

With just 12 days before the Michigan 3-Day for the Cure, I'm in heavy duty list-making mode.

In addition to the packing list (anyone know where I can find travel-size saline solution? Not the cleanser, just plain saline.), Stef and I have been busy making sure we have what we need to survive camp. With no electricity available, this includes everything from our necessities to a battery-operated air pump to inflate the air mattresses and a battery-operated charging station for our phones/ipods/mp3 players.

Today, I picked up a nifty charging station at Brookstone (the kids were loving that store). It runs off a car cigarette lighter, a USB port or a 9-volt battery ... and comes with a million attachments so that it'll charge just about any device you could imagine. Very nifty little device. (Rumor has it that Bank of America has a charging station at the walk, and there may (or may not be) a strip of chargers in the meal tent, but we're not taking the chance that we can't charge our stuff. I plan to be Tweeting and Facebooking when I can, so having a fully charged phone is a must!)

The other item on my list this week: What can I do to make sure I'm physically ready for the grueling three days that are to come??

To start with, we're trying to squeeze in a little more gym time this week than we have been the past few weeks. With all of the mileage we've been getting in, finding time to go to the gym has been tough, and honestly, not the highest priority. But the mileage tapers off a little the next two weeks, leaving more time (and energy!) for the gym. I need to get in some good cardio workouts (here comes that "love-hate" relationship with the elliptical) and more strength training (trying to avoid that morning ache in my legs). So, we're off to the gym.

Second, I'm chugging down the water. I've read/heard recommendations to get as hydrated as you can the week before the walk. So, I'm sucking down a ton of water. I think I tend to drink a lot of water anyway (more than average, at least), but I'm toting around my big pink water bottle and making an effort to drink a little more.

Finally, the fundraising will kick in to high gear this week. Other than these blog posts, and posts about some of our events, I hope I haven't been "bugging" people in my social networks to donate. With just 12 days to go, it's "Game On."  I challenged a few people on Saturday, to help me get through a really long, hot 18-mile walk, and three of my Facebook friends answered, bringing in $85 in donations. This week, I'm bugging you. Make a donation, online, today. Do it Friday if that's your payday. Just do it. And do it online. It's easy. I'll be walking 60 miles over three days. Sleeping in a tent. Using a porta-potty. With no power. Making the donation is the easy part ...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen!

    I'm part of the 3 Day Tweeps, and just saw your blog! Wanted to give you a couple pieces of info since I just did Boston a few weeks back :)

    - BOA does have charging stations, and the rows of power strips for real chargers DID exist (they're not advertising this, because they don't want people to abuse it! but there were A TON OF THEM!)
    - Target has always been my go-to for all things travel sized. I believe they had saline solution...
    - drinking water before is crucial...I made that mistake of not drinking water before one year, needless to say I'll never do it again :)

    Hope you're getting excited! You're going to have a wonderful time!!

    -Alison Glancz (@glancz)

    ReplyDelete