Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I should be working. (Or, "This sucks.")

Yes, I should be working right now. Instead, I'm writing a hastily pulled together post to vent. I think I jinxed myself last week when I posted about how I was so fortunate that no one in my immediate circle has been affected by breast cancer. Strike that. A dear co-worker (my "right hand" and an incredibly amazing woman) got a call this afternoon that she has breast cancer.

I can't even imagine. Being in my office, working away (and unlike me, she was really working I'm sure), when the phone rings. "Hi there... biopsy positive ... lumpectomy ... schedule things... we'll be in touch."

There are no words. No words for when you answer that call. No words for the co-workers who hear you sobbing in the office next door. No words for when you have to tell your husband and two pre-teen daughters that life is about to be turned upside down and inside out.

Actually, the only two words that come to mind are "this sucks." Classy, eh?

So all I can do is send positive vibes (contrary to the two-word sentiment above) and hope for the best. If you have a moment, spare a positive vibe for my friend Debbie. She needs them right now.

1 comment:

  1. I'll say a prayer for your friend Debbie. And you're right ... 'This sucks!' are probably the best words to describe how you feel when you get that phone call, followed by 'It's not fair.'
    I remember my phone call like it was yesterday and it's been 7+ years. I pray that Debbie does well. Be there for her when she needs to vent, but don't feel like you need to say 'you understand' ... just be there for her.

    ReplyDelete