Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

One down, 23 to go ...

I realize that in the "real world," 24 weeks equates to six months, which is half a year. Which is a long time. In my pink bubble, however, 24 weeks starts the countdown ... and it flies by.

Some background: Having a "successful" 3-Day event (which means no blisters, no injuries, no whining) requires training. When Julie & Jenn were considering whether to walk this year, we talked about what sort of commitment it was. I couldn't say it enough: The fundraising isn't hard. It's not easy, but it's not hard. But the training ... that's hard. And yet I think it's the single most important piece of having a good experience.

The training isn't hard because of the actual, physical walking. That's probably the easy part. Training is hard because it's a lot of time. You have to make the time to walk four days a week. And some weeks, that's hours of walking. It's hard to adjust an already busy schedule to fit in walking, and it can be stressful. For example, "walking days" are Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Emma has gymnastics on Thursday, which makes it nearly impossible to walk on Thursday night (it's only a 45-minute class, which isn't enough time to get to the gym and back, and it's not enough time to walk the neighborhood by the gym). Yet it isn't warm enough in the morning yet to go out early. Argh, you get the idea.

But the training is also where I found joy in the 3-Day. I loved having the structure that forced me to exercise. I loved walking with Stef and chatting along the way. I loved getting outside and seeing the bunnies and deer. I loved meeting new people on training walks and learning more about them and why they walk. I loved training.

So this past week, when the email popped into my inbox to let me know that my "Personal Trainer" was ready to go, it made me smile. Getting my Daily Mile account all set up made me smile (you can see my tally of training miles on the right side of the blog). And gearing up to go walk this week made me smile.

Now if we can just get it to be a little less windy, walking outside will make me smile.

And that was a really long way of explaining: One down, 23 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment